Snow on the way

by Bob Truman on December 18, 2017

in Weather conditions

I was happy to see Adam’s trip report indicating 7 cm of new snow already in the north end of PLPP, and Gord F’s 15 cm at Boulton Creek.

I’m in Calgary for a few days so I won’t be able to report any snowfall amounts from my deck in Canmore.

As you can see, forecasts are widely divergent in their predictions.

The storm is coming from Washington state and will hit the Crowsnest Pass with the lion’s share of the snow.

While we’re on the subject of weather, I’ve added yet another link on the weather menu, Centre for Hydrology. Thanks to Eric Courtin for sending it over. This data would be of special interest to backcountry skiers, but the Hay Meadow station would be very relevant for cross-country skiers as it is near the Ribbon Creek trails. The data on the Hay Meadow station is currently a week old but that problem should be cleared up soon.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Diana Piggott December 18, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I find that snow-forecast tends to be overly optimistic, but still I can’t help looking at the site and getting all excited!

2 JeremyN December 19, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Glass half full …of spirit(s)! Always pity those that don’t ski and the masses that complain about snow. Happy (always) skiing!

3 MaSid December 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Looks like this storm might have some upslope characteristics, so good news for Bragg creek

4 Henry L December 18, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Bob, I look forward to seeing what is on the hydrology site.
However, on my Toshiba Tecra laptop the dropdown entries under ‘Weather’ drop right off the screen, instead of scrolling over into a second column. It’s only the new ‘hydrology’ entry the falls off of the earth. I hope that your ‘real’ users don’t have such an issue. Isn’t web CSS wonderful -)

5 Bob Truman December 18, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Thanks, Henry. You’ve given me a good reason to fine-tune the weather menu. I’ve deleted a few of the redundant links. Let me know if it works for you now.

6 Henry L December 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

Thanks so much for rearranging. It now all fits on the laptop screen.