We finally have a definitive answer to the Maple Ridge grooming question from the city of Calgary(thanks to Erika for this):
Your communication made its way to me and I am happy to correct some of the misinformation that seems to be circulating about Cross Country Skiing at Maple Ridge.
Golf and Sport Development does not provide tracksetting or skiing at any of our sites; we offer the venue and third parties provide the tracksetting.
- Calgary Parks does the tracksetting at Maple Ridge Golf Course on Tuesdays. Their equipment is getting old and prone to breakdown so they have a new set ordered and it’s pending delivery. The old equipment is working as of Friday so I am confident they will be able to set track at next snowfall. My understanding is that this work is funded and scheduled and there are no plans to reduce or eliminate.
- In addition, Calgary Parks does tracksetting at South Glenmore Park on Wednesdays and at Bowness Park.
- Confederation Park Golf Course is trackset by Foothills Nordic Ski Club. They have been experimenting with snowmaking the last two years and plan on the same for this winter. I don’t know their schedule for tracksetting but I expect it is at least once a week – snow dependent.
- The FNSC also does tracksetting across the street from Confederation at Canmore Park.
- The Calgary Ski Club does the tracksetting at Shaganappi Point Golf Course. Similar to FNSC, they set based on snow and need.
- Lakeview Golf Course is open for un-groomed skiing all winter.
The City website also has good information on all the sites and is updated regularly: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Locations/Cross-country-skiing.aspx
Hopefully this clarifies the situation at Maple Ridge and gives you a little more info about other opportunities. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns.
Greg Shymanski , MLA
Golf Course Lead
The City of Calgary
First I want to thank skierbob for this invaluable resource for skiers & for the folks that pack & trackset the cross country ski trail!
A friend & I skied to the top of Elk Pass on Sunday, December 9th. The trail was in reasonably good shape. Some fresh snow will be beneficial but we could ski right from the trailhead.
Some skiers came down Blueberry & said it was quite fast…maybe faster than wanted.
Oops posted this in the wrong place. Can anyone move this or advise me how to edit the post?
Thanks for the trip report. On the main menu, there is a tab entitled “Trip Reports.” That’s the page you’re looking for. Hope you will post many more!
City of Calgary sent out a tweet today saying Maple Ridge is groomed Tues, south Glenmore Wed and Bownes as req’d. This is an update since the website previously stated “suspended pending equipment repair”.
So hopefully this means the machine is working and will be good to go once we get a fresh dump of snow.