Alasdair Fergusson from the Calgary Ski Club sent this email(the trail report has also been updated on the CSC website):
Hi fellow keen skiers
If you have not yet skied Shaganappi this past weekend you have missed the skiing experience of a lifetime in normally snow-drought and Chinook-prone Calgary.
- 35 cm of fresh snow over 2 days is a record in my books. And I have only Trackset Shaganappi for 31 years since 1986.
This record snowfall over 2 days exceeds all but 10 MONTHLY TOTAL SNOWFALL measurements recorded by Enviro Canada at the airport
Other new features at Shaganappi thanks to fund-raising by the Calgary Ski Club:
- There are 2 Porta-Potties close to the ATCO trailer with a weekly cleaning service as part of the rental contract.
- A Warming Hut for what remains of winter. This is available by arrangement for groups from schools, Special Olympics
- The ATCO Trailer was rented for 3 months 1 Dec to 28 Feb BUT the electric power supply was only approved and connected by Enmax and our electric contractor in the past week or so. This is a permanent installation with an easy disconnect to the trailer and re-connect next December.
- And the propane tank was ordered and delivered for supplying the trailer forced-air furnace.
- There are 24 seats, 4 tables and also coat racks. I just have to purchase the garbage and recycling bins and brooms.
- One separate room is intended for use as a wax-room with wax benches – BUT you bring the wax iron and waxes and clean the room after.
- But NOT this year!
- BUT – DUE TO THE ON-GOING RISK OF VANDALISM THIS FACILITY MUST REMAIN LOCKED BUT THE KEY WILL BE SUPPLIED TO GROUPS ON REQUEST.
Our planned snow-making on 2 km of trails did not happen due to the delays with the warming hut base both for staff & volunteers and to thaw and dry the 50 foot water hoses and other problems.
For once my usual admonition does not apply – NO NEED TO PRAY FRO MORE SNOW THIS YEAR!!