Update Dec 4: In PLPP last night, tracksetting occurred on Hydroline, Lookout, Tyrwhitt and Pocaterra north of the Packers junction.
Thanks for the trip reports today. I’m happy to hear the temperatures were remaining sub-zero in Lake Louise and PLPP. Weather forecasts are showing a faint glimmer of hope for some fresh snow on Tuesday.
I enjoyed all the comments regarding the Great Divide article. My take-away is that it was completely closed to vehicle traffic by the late nineties, but was closed in the winters previous to that.
Most of the trails at Mt Shark were groomed(not trackset) last night. Read the trail report for details. Main menu>Trail Reports>Kananaskis>Mt Shark.
Canmore Nordic Centre has a bit of skiable snow in addition to the Frozen Thunder trails: “1/2 of day stadium is open for skiing both classic/skate. Snowmaking still in progress, watch for snowmaking equipment in area.”
Chuck sent in 11 stunning photos from his backcountry trip to Healy Pass. He made note that metal edges are esential. There is avalanche risk on this route.
The xc trails at Dawn Mountain Nordic Centre in Golden BC are officially open tomorrow(Friday). The snowpack is shallow so use caution. They sent the following info with regards to covid…
- The Chalet will be open for emergencies, rentals, and washroom use only with a strict mask policy. Maximum 10 people allowed on the main floor. We have a porta potti outside the Chalet too.
- Skiers and visitors must do a COVID self assessment before travelling to Dawn Mountain. If you have any symptoms, have been in contact with a COVID positive person, have been out of the country, have been diagnosed with COVID, you must stay home.
- Day fees are payable on site by cash only at this time. Fees are the same as last year: Adults $12, Children 6-18 $6, Families $30.
- The Golf Course trails and snowshoe trails are closed until there is more snow.
- At this time Members will greeted on the weekends and signed in by volunteers
- Be very patient and careful in the parking lot. Allow time for adjacent vehicles to load and unload so that you can keep your distance. Expect a full parking lot on weekends. It is OK to park on Hector trail where it is wide and ski in.
- There are no changing facilities, no drinks, no food available at the Chalet.
- COVID rules will be strictly enforced and you can lose your privileges to ski at DM if rules are not followed. Remember to follow the Provincial regulations of the PHO.
We aim to have a very safe and fun season. Our grooming team is doing their best to groom to the best conditions possible, but we are sometimes limited by snowpack, weather, machine issues, and the health of our grooming team.. The snowpack is still very shallow so please be kind and careful. Check out our website for the daily grooming updates, and the Full COVID Protocols for the club.
Make sure it’s closed
A story with a happy ending, but also a cautionary note to SUV drivers: Close the hatch before you drive off or you might lose a ski.
“They were going to Pocaterra and had a ‘can’t remember if I put your boots in’ moment so pulled over at Barrier info centre to check. Hit the button to close the hatch and started driving off. Arrived at Pocaterra to find 3 skis.”
The ski was found and returned to the owner.